Saturday, December 12, 2009

Twoddler

To wrap up my time in Com 435 I presented an emerging technology called Twoddler -- Twitter for toddlers.

Makes perfect sense right?

The idea is a tricked out fisher price activity center. When the toddler plays with the activity center his or her actions are streamed to an online twitter account that is updated with their activities. (Check out an article and video demonstration here.) It is an interesting concept in theory, but in reality you end up getting pointless updates from a 2 year-old that says things like "brian is excited to play with music." Even still to think about how far technology has come, and how social medias (such as Twitter) are being integrated into our everyday lives.

I actually have enjoyed my Twitter account and will continue to keep it even after this class is over. I can honestly see how for business, Twitter is a great way to pass along concise information quickly. For example, it is the perfect type of media for Newspapers and New stations to quickly get out breaking news. Also for companies, its a great way to keep employees in constant communication. Personal use was a little questionable to me, but I believe that every human has a desire to share their thoughts and feelings ... which is why updating status on Facebook and maintaining a Twitter account are so popular. I am okay indulging ever so slightly in this type of frenzy. It is quite satisfying knowing that somebody else is aware that morning traffic was bad today on I-65. Also, it was a really unique was to share information about other people's posters. I actually enjoyed reading the other comments and it was very neat to see how fast the information updates.

Technology has come SUCH a long way and it is very interesting to see where it will end up taking us over the next 100+ years!

No comments:

Post a Comment